Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Know Your Leaders Series

This is the full version of my interview for the August 2010 edition of SYNAPSE - The Monthly Aegis PeopleSupport E-Magazine.

We know you as Jeff Inandan, Associate Vice President, Operations (Emerging Markets). What is the other side of Jeff that our readers don’t know?

I have a collection of Starbucks city mugs. It started when I went to Europe in 2002. I have over 50 mugs now (and counting). These are mostly from my travels and some of them are from peers who also travel a lot. I really appreciate friends who would just surprise me with their “pasalubong” to be added to my collection.


When did you join Aegis PeopleSupport? Please share with us your growth within the company.
From PS Batch 22, I started October 2001 as an agent for NSI (Batch 11). I was part of other programs such as NSI VIP, Fandango.com, MavComm. Experian has just started when I got transferred via promotion as a Team Supervisor. I had a stint in the Cebu site then got promoted as a Team Manager for the implementation of Direct Response Cebu. In 2007, I joined the Travel & Consumer Vertical managing some of the Shared Accounts – Black & Decker, Armani Exchange, Teleplus, Agoda, Bissell, Avery Dennison and ProFlowers. It was in the Retail group when I moved to the Senior Manager role and eventually to AVP with newer accounts such as 1800Flowers and HireRight.


Please share with us your journey prior to joining Aegis PeopleSupport.
My very first job in 2000 was in an outsourced provider called 800 Aces for Citibank cards. After a year, I joined the Billing Disputes and Merchant Sales of Citibank Operations as a customer service representative.

Being a leader, people look up to you and talk about your success. But what are the three achievements that are personally close to your heart?

I guess part of it will be the professional growth via promotions I’ve had in the company over the past eight and a half years. I still consider it as an achievement whenever peers or previous direct reports seek for my help or take on matters related to work. Whenever they succeed, I also feel accomplished somehow. I’m saving the 3rd one as my biggest personal project yet, getting myself my own house! It’s another type of fulfillment when I achieve my goals in the set timeframe.

How would you want to be known as?

I’d like to be known as someone who has positively influenced and encouraged people to do better whether at work or elsewhere. Someone who would always outperform himself.

Please share with us your most memorable professional and personal moments.

Whenever I get together with friends from the old PeopleSupport batches, we always reminisce how we were ages ago. The huge AVAYA box-type callmaster always makes me smile especially when I remember all my boo-boos of not being on mute whenever I had to. I also had my share of going through the rough stages of being an agent – irate callers, hundreds of calls waiting, etc. I’ve always taken pride whenever I got commendation calls or exceeding upsell or sales targets! Many APS agents now may not know that once there was the convenience store called BINGO in Valero St. where we took most of our lunch breaks (30 minutes back then for an 8-hour shift). Those were good times!

Who do you regard as your role model(s) and why?
Aside from my direct superiors both previous and present, I really admire the leadership and management style of Gil Grissom of CSI. Yes, you got it! They’re mostly unorthodox but really sound and well-thought of. He facilitates intelligently that makes it inexcusable to ask unintelligent questions.

What is that one thing you wish to change?
I’ve always been a believer that excellent performance is brought about by good training, proper coaching and support from superiors. Gatekeepers would be the right mindset and optimistic attitude towards work and team. In this industry, it’s mostly the behavioral aspect of employees that people have challenges on. I’d love to see the day when everyone goes through that paradigm shift and be all at the same page where their leaders have imagined them to be.

How would you describe your family?
I grew up in the province in a small family with two other brothers. Now with two nephews and one niece, I’d say we’re more bonded. I remember when I started working, it took a few years for my family to finally accept my working hours. My mom kept on asking me to get moved to the morning shift but she eventually got used to it.

What are the most important events in your life?
When I started to live independently from my folks (with the financial freedom and responsibility of course) – this takes the cake! I’ve learned how to provide for myself and of course give myself some well-deserved rewards. I wouldn’t have developed some of my skills if it wasn’t for this bold move.

Please share with us some of your favorites:
Movie – I like to watch movies that feature different places with plots that make me think. The Bourne & Transporter series are classic examples. I also enjoy the romantic comedies.
Actor / Actress – Matt Damon, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman
Food – I love my own cooking but my favorites are adobo and sinigang. Cebu’s got a wide range of delicious food and delicacies – like the lechon.
Eating Joint/s – I really enjoy the buffet at Circles at the Shang and Spiral at the Sofitel. I also wish Manila has a Nando’s Chicken outlet and Hurricane's Grill just like in Australia.
Holiday Destination – New York City, San Francisco, Vienna, Sydney, Boracay


What is your message to those who also have dreams of making it big in Aegis PeopleSupport?
Aside from striving to be the best in what they do, always be hungry to learn new and innovative things at work. The company has a lot of growth opportunities for every commendable employee. Trust me, people in management are always in the look-out for individuals who deserve a break. There’s really no fixed formula for success but some of the things that came in handy for me were initiative, resourcefulness, independence, self-motivation, sharp and quick thinking/decision-making. My other favorite is “providing people (especially your bosses or clients) the answers even before they ask questions”.


No comments: